Monday, July 13, 2009

Grasping at Straws

It is Monday and I have a wicked bad case of the Monday's and a headache to go with it. So as I am drinking my Dr Pepper to try and get rid of my headache I am going to blog. Now I feel as though I don't really have much to share but there is something that I realized I haven't blogged about. Helpful concert going tips...I don't have many but they are good lessons learned.

1 - Opening Acts can cancel at anytime. If you bought a ticket to see the opening act and you could care less about the main act there is a chance you will be disappointed. The opening acts are always subject to change and no you won't get a refund on an opening act. However still go to the concert because the replacement opening act you might like. Plus this gives you the freedom to leave when you want.

2 - Small venues. I am talking clubs, coffee places and small theatres. Odd are especially in the real small places that the acts will come out afterwards and chat with the fans that stay. If the opening acts are coming out to chill there is a chance the main act will. The main acts may not say it but give them about 15 minutes to change their shirt, get a drink and pee before you decide to leave. You might get to meet them and get a pic or an autograph.



3 - If you are driving to a place out of town, map it out! You need to know where you are going and if there are any alternative ways to get there and possibly avoid traffic. Just remember the bigger the act, the more the traffic. Especially if the act hasn't been touring a long time it will be sold out so give yourself at least an extra hour on top of that for traffic.

4 - Lawn Seats. Odds are you are going to a concert during the summer if lawn seats are involved. Before you sit down look to see where the sun is and try and sit in the shade which will be on the sides. Before you pick a side look for the shade you won't regret it. Oh and see where the big screen are too before you sit. After all you will be watching the big screen more than the stage.

5 - Leaving the concert. If you are in a situation where you are trying to get out of a big parking lot and no one is moving because traffic isn't being directed until you get to the exit....Go to your car, sit for a few minutes and relax, watch to see if anyone is moving and come to the realization that you will be sitting in your parking spot for a while so sit back, roll the windows down and listen to all the craziness around you. However if you see someone stand on there car near you and looks like he is surveying the lot keep an eye on him. If he all of the sudden gets in his car and he looks happy...follow him...he found a way out.



6 - 21 and up. Do yourself a favor and always take your ID with you. I don't care if you drink or not just take the ID.


7 - There are some venues that allow you to bring in a drink of some sort. Just check the venue first don't assume. Also be ready because per the artists request they might have you dump your drink into a cup or remove the cap at the entrance. Also when you buy say a bottle of water at the venue they might also remove the cap there, so make sure you have enough hands so you won't spill.

8 - Shoes. Wear comfortable shoes. You might have to walk a ways sometimes in gravel and dirt. You might have to stand in line for a while. You might have to walk up and down stairs. You might have to stand during the whole concert. You might have to stand on a slant thus you might fall over at some point.

9 - PDA - Keep it down you dirty whores. I don't care how drunk you are. PDA is PDA. Geeze.

10 - For crying out loud have fun. Clap, scream, dance, use your lighter, sing along to all the words....do what your heart tells you as long as you aren't bumping into other people and bothering them.

That's all for now kids. I might have some more helpful tips another time. Time to get to work.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel so old. The last concert I went to was in Richmond! Why did you not make me go to more concerts Gretel?!

G Sauce said...

Was it the Michelle Branch concert?

Britni said...

Nice tips! You should make some sort of brochure for concert goers.

Lildonbro said...

Ha-ha! I love when I could tell what concert you were talking about.
Very good tips. Especially about PDA and jumping around as much as you want as long as you aren't bumping in to other people.
I'd add hand sanitizer to the list, for when those crazy whore drunks bump you with their booty. Just dump that stuff all over you while waiting in the parking lot for the exit traffic to clear.