Monday, April 23, 2012

State #31 - Colorado


My how square shaped you are!

Colorado was a bonus state for this year.  I didn't have any plans to visit it this year.  To be honest I wasn't overly excited to visit the state even though it gets great reviews.  Something just didn't appeal to me.  I wasn't in Colorado long enough to fall in love but it sure does have enough for me to make another trip.

This was technically in Wyoming but it was on our drive to Colorado.  I have always wanted to see the wind thingies.  I can't think of what they are actually called.  We got to see a ton of them and they are so cool looking.

On our way into Rocky Mountain National Park we had a little gathering of animals on the side of the road.

In true fashion I seem to find myself on a dirt road when I travel out West.  Luckily this one I knew was correct.  It was one of the roads to Bear Lake in the Park and they warned us it was under construction.




Of course Bear Lake was frozen over and we had to walk on snow/ice to get to it.  There was a snow storm that came through earlier that week.  We were hit with it when we were in Idaho.  Luckily it passed through in time for Graduation that evening.

The park was beautiful but it was anticlimactic for me.  I guess nothing compares to Yellowstone!


We traveled on to Denver where we went to the State Capital to stand at exactly the Mile High of the city.  It actually has shifted over the years so there are different markers for those changes.


A view from the Capital steps.


Two Thumbs up from the Shadows.


Wouldn't be a trip if I didn't find a Temple to take a picture of.  The Denver Temple although no where near the size of the DC Temple had the same flavor of it.  Britni made a guess of the decade it was built based of the architecture.  She was right - 1980's.

All in all Denver seemed to be a pretty cool and clean town.  I wouldn't mind going back for a longer and proper visit.

No comments: