Tuesday, January 24, 2012

State #30 - West Virginia


West Virginia - Wild and Wonderful

It's something alright!

I went for a short visit to Snowshoe Mountain Resort in Snowshoe, WVA.  I stayed in The Inn at Snowshoe which is right at the entrance of the resort.  Recently they just started a free shuttle service into the resort from the Inn.  I would highly recommended doing that over driving in but it runs every 30 minutes so you might have to wait.  If you time it right you'll be good.  I really enjoyed the place we stayed.  Very nice workers and were very helpful.  In fact everyone was very nice and helpful throughout the resort except at the Tubing Park. 

I'm not going to go off on my tantrum about the Tubing Park because it could have just been a bad day for them.  The visibility all over the resort was awful and they probably should have shut more areas down.  I'll just tell you about what happened....

It was about the 4th-5th time down the hill and we were going so fast that we slammed into the bumper that was our fail-safe from falling down a 10 foot drop.  We should have know that was a warning.

The next time we went down we were going even faster (I just want to mention that we weren't being pushed down the hill.  We just inched up until we started to go down the hill.)  We went so fast and hit right at the seam hard enough that it broke.  I stopped inside the bumper and Claire was flipped out of her tube and landed on her side half in the bumper.  Claire hit her head and bruised her shoulder and I got some minor whiplash.  Needless to say we were done for the day.  

The interested part is that except for the fellow tubers who asked if we were okay as we climbed out no one else asked if we were okay.  Not a single worker saw or cared to find out what happened and if anyone was hurt.  They just stopped the tubing and repaired the bumper. 

The extra added bonus is that if the bumper had ripped any further I would have flown off the 10 foot drop.

Oh and I also lost my hat in the crash.

Now to make it all even better I was recording when it happened.




Thanks West Virginia for a great story and for alot of laughs about it.

No comments: