Friday, June 22, 2012

M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter I Humpback Humback I

I would like to thank elementary school for engraved certain songs into my brain.  Unfortunately, I am having a hard time remembering what happens after Montpelier, Vermont.  I remember how to sing Mississippi and Hawaii but I can't put it back together in song form.  If you don't know what I am referring too - I am sad for you.  In fact, since I couldn't find it online, I would love it if someone recorded them singing it and send it to me.

Moving along - Last night I was laying on the couch.  Rice pack on my neck and face (yes my face, try it) with allergy meds and headaches meds pumping through my body.  Hoping to make the headache go away (which it didn't), I thought of something.

Randomly in my life the song of the states and their capitals in order of statehood runs through my mind.  It's a happy song because it was always fun to sing.  Last night I thought that maybe I should blog about it.  It relates to the purpose of this blog and I have nothing else to write about. 



Below is the list of states, in order of statehood and whether I have visited yet.

  1. Delaware - Yes
  2. Pennsylvania - Yes
  3. New Jersey - Yes
  4. Georgia - Yes
  5. Connecticut - Yes
  6. Massachusetts - Yes
  7. Maryland - Yes
  8. South Carolina - Yes
  9. New Hampshire - Yes
  10. Virginia - Yes
  11. New York - Yes
  12. North Carolina - Yes
  13. Rhode Island - Yes
  14. Vermont - Yes
  15. Kentucky - Yes
  16. Tennessee - Yes
  17. Ohio - Yes
  18. Louisiana - Yes
  19. Indiana - Yes
  20. Mississippi - Yes
  21. Illinois - Yes
  22. Alabama - Yes
  23. Maine - Yes
  24. Missouri
  25. Arkansas
  26. Michigan - Yes
  27. Florida - Yes
  28. Texas - Yes
  29. Iowa - Yes
  30. Wisconsin - Yes
  31. California - Yes
  32. Minnesota
  33. Oregon
  34. Kansas
  35. West Virginia - Yes
  36. Nevada - Yes
  37. Nebraska
  38. Colorado - Yes
  39. North Dakota
  40. South Dakota
  41. Montana - Yes
  42. Washington
  43. Idaho - Yes
  44. Wyoming - Yes
  45. Utah - Yes
  46. Oklahoma - Yes
  47. New Mexico
  48. Arizona - Yes
  49. Alaska
  50. Hawaii - Yes
Clearly the ones that are highlighted have not been visited.

I am saving Alaska for 2014 but trying to figure out the best way to get the other 10 done.  I plan to combine Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska into one trip.  Thanks to Kansas City, I can rock Kansas and Missouri pretty much at the same time.  Omaha, Nebraska is just straight up the highway from there.  I can also do Oregon and Washington together.  Seattle not being too far from Portland.  I could do North Dakota and Minnesota together.  However I want to go to Minneapolis which is on the complete other side of Minnesota.

Actually now that I look at it - Could fly into Rapid City, SD (see Mt Rushmore) for a couple days.  Drive (5hr 30min) to Bismarck, ND and stay overnight.  Drive (7hrs) to Minneapolis, MN and stay a couple days.



That would just leave Arkansas and New Mexico as their own trips.

Let me ponder.

1 comment:

J, K, and L said...

you are my hero(ine).
p.s. while this sounds mean...some of these states are probably un-touristy for a reason. i mean, north dakota? does anyone actually KNOW anyone from there? i rest my case. (my senior hs teacher had a theory that it was a made-up state.)