Spelling this state hurts my head!
Boston is where we visited and out of the whole New England trip this is where we were the longest. I did that on purpose because I knew there was alot in Boston. We actually fly in and out of Boston for our trip, so we just made a big circle.
I love this propeller, energy, fan thingies. I don't care if they work or not. I just think they look cool. I have never seen one right in a city. This is actually the view from our hotel room.
I do not suggest driving in Boston. The roads are confusing and there are alot of bridges and tunnels. Never have I been in and out of so many tunnels.
Take the train, take the train, take the train. In NYC it is the Subway, in DC it is the Metro, in Boston it is the T or the train. It is the best subway system I have been on. It was pretty fast, easy to navigate and super super clean!! One of the best, if not the best thing in Boston, for me.
The Freedom Trail is one of the coolest things in the city. You literally follow the red line or red bricks on the road to stay on the trail through the city. It looked like it would take a long time but it really didn't. Of course if you spend alot of time at each landmark then it will take longer. They also offer free tours just start at one of the visitors centers and pick up the tour. You can always leave if you aren't feeling it and keep following the trail.
This is the Old North Church - it's kinda famous - check it out.
Just slighting off the trail is Mike's Pastry which has super yummy cannoli's. They have cupcakes and maybe a few other things but I wasn't paying attention to that. They are always super busy and are cash only. There is limited seating so you can just take your treat and hop back on the freedom trail one block down. ***The chocolate chip cannoli was AMAZEBALLS.
To continue on the Ivy League visits and if you have time stop in the Cambridge area and visit Harvard. There are also alot of shops and food around that area. It is an easy stop to get to on the train. It is the Harvard stop. Brilliant name choice, don't you think?
It is very tourist/visitor friendly. They have an information area and tour guides that will answer your questions, give you a map, tips and if you want you can follow them through the campus.
Near the bay in Boston - off from the main part of the city is the John F Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. There is access to this museum from the train so it isn't so bad. Again take the train - do not drive!!
The museum is well thought out, and has amazing views, not to mention I learned alot about JFK. The museum stays away from the assassination and concentrates on his life. If you want to learn about the assassination then hop a plane to Dallas. Visit here and try not to feel the heaviness of the grounds on the street below.
I about fell over when I walked around the corner of the museum and saw this foyer as the entrance to his Presidency. I almost felt like I couldn't walk over there because I would be walking into The White House and would be tackled by Secret Service. Talk about making a statement for the rest of the museum!
If you would like a view of the city from up high make a stop at the Prudential Building. Also the name of its train stop.
It is actually a city block of office buildings and condos a shopping mall connecting them all. Just find the entrance at the corner and there is a map inside showing you how to get to that particular building. They also have an information desk that you can ask.
Here is our little insider tip that we received - don't pay for the floor with the view go to the restaurant instead. You will spend less going to the restaurant and get the same view. The food wasn't all that amazing but it was a nice, quiet, cool place to relax, eat and get a great view. That was actually our last stop before we took the train back to the airport.
You can see Fenway Park in the picture below.
This leads me to Fenway Park. This actually started our visit to Boston and was my other favorite, if not my favorite thing about Boston. Absolutely see a game but you really want to take the tour of the ballpark. I suggest the first tour of the day and on game day. You will see them prepping the ballpark and you won't have other tour groups in your pictures if you are the first group. You really learn alot and you get to sit atop the Green Monster. I knew about the Green Monster but never really understood it's greatest until I sat in those seats.
I have been to a few Major League Baseball games in my life and I actually want to come back to this ballpark. Sure the Atlanta Braves have a nice view of the 1996 Olympic Square and the Cincinnati Reds have a beautiful view of the water and Kentucky but I don't need to go back. I want, in fact need to go back and see a game there and on that Green Monster. They truly are the best seats in baseball. You have to sit up there to really understand that.
With that being said, I am sad to report that Boston didn't blow me away. If it wasn't for Fenway Park and the train system I would have no desire to go back. Not even to see the July 4th - Pops Goes the Fourth - which I have been wanting to see for years. PBS people, look it up or better yet watch it. Support your local public broadcasting system. Love the Boston Pops and their conductor!
Here is the reason why I think it didn't impress me. I am born and raised in Richmond, have been to Williamsburg, Jamestown, Battlefields etc etc. Virginia is loaded with history and connected to the history in Boston as well. I have seen Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington and all those other great men all my life. We are talking impersonators people - I'm not crazy! I have even been to some of their houses. While the things I have listed above would be amazing to others, even people from Richmond, it is just stuff I am use to. Even the JFK Museum is like visiting DC for me. I feel like I have been experiencing Boston my whole life.
Should you visit Boston? Yes, absolutely. It is a cool city with alot of different things to offer. Am I going back? Only if it is for a game and/or to see the Boston Pops and I'll be taking the train the whole time.

No comments:
Post a Comment