Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Love My Richmond.com Free Newspaper


I think the richmond.com newspaper come once a week but I am not sure. It is the holder for all the loads of junk mail. However I have found that I enjoy the 4 page paper. I think I would actually pay to get it.

Yesterday I got it, threw out the junk in the middle and sat down to read it. What caught my attention was the RVA Bucket List. (I tried to search for a link to the article, but it either isn't online or I just can't find it)  Let's discuss.

  1. St. John's Church - Patrick Henry said "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" in RVA - you've got to pay homage.
    • Check - I have been to this many times.  It is my Mom's favorite attraction for visitors to see.  It really is rather cool.  I have seen many historical reenactment throughout the state but this one has by far the most founding fathers.  You got the heavy hitters and all their pals.  It really is a cool experience on a fine Sunday afternoon.
  2. The James - Specifically, spend the whole day there.
    • Check (sorta) - I have spend time in and around the James but never the whole day.  So I could do this one better.
  3. D.I.Y. Ghost Tours - Check out Hollywood Cemetery and see if it really is haunted.
    • Nope - I don't do Ghost Tours however I have been meaning to go there.  I am not sure exactly where it is.  JD take me!
  4. Byrd Theatre - Visit the Byrd Theatre for a Saturday night showing with the Mighty Wurlitzer at least once a year (preferably more, since they can use it).
    • Check - That never gets old but my need for support comfy seating keeps me from going to the Byrd more often.  PS - The midnight movies (not sure if they still do them) is seriously good fun.
  5. Move Away... - and inevitably come back.  They don't call it the Richmond rubber band for nothing.
    • Check
  6. Be in a Band - With all the musicians around, everyone (and anyone) can be a part of a second or third side project band.  Get yourself a tambourine.
    • Check - Okay not really what they mean, but don't you think the Skyhawk Marching Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Symphony count?  Yeah probably not.  It should we are famous, been on TV and toured.
  7. Get a Tattoo - We're the third in the nation when it comes to tattooed people, but we can do better.  We can do much better.
    • Check - This will have to be on a technicality of I will NEVER get one so a temporary tattoo will have to count.
  8. Carytown - We don't just mean drive and stop at one store - we mean spend an afternoon.  They don't call it a "Mile of Style" for nothing.  Window shop, browse the stores, grab some coffee or have a bite to eat...you can do it all in Carytown.
    • Check - I am not a devouted Carytown person but no kidding you can have fun if you just park and have fun all the way down the street.  They have some serious yummy food. 
  9. Short Pump it Up - The Richmond metro area has a population of about 1.2 million people, but only about 200,000 of those are in the city proper.  If you want to experience Richmond the way most of the residents do, you've got to hit the 'burbs.  Oh yeah, and Hull Street and 288, too.  It ain't all Short Pump.    More people live in Chesterfield than any other part of metro Richmond and, if the traffic is any indication, they live in Brandermill area.
    • Check - Short Pump makes me crazy! I hate the traffic but you can't beat the Mall and some of the places around it. 
  10. Monument Avenue - Yeah, yeah, we know, you've driven down Monument and seen it all.  The dead guy on the horse, the other dead guy on the horse, the dude with globe and Arthur Ashe beating children with a tennis racket - but maybe, just maybe, there might be something more there.  Like names and dates and information and stuff.
    • Check - The Arthur Ashe comment was hilarious!  I am not a fan of round-a-bout or rather go-arounds on Monument but the drive is rather beautiful.  Make sure you aren't always the driver.  You see different things if you aren't driving.  Oh and after a storm don't even bother driving down it.  There will be trees everywhere.
I agree with this list and if you haven't you should do them all.  I have one to get down - JD you are the key.  I'm thinking when the leaves change! 

1 comment:

Lildonbro said...

Ha-ha! I loved the Arthur Ashe comment is so true!!

I am the key, that's fo sho. I haven't been to a ghost tour at Hollywood, but I LOVE ghost tours and I LOVE Hollywood Cemetery. Let's do this!